by Lindsey Laforge
July 11 is the anniversary of the swearing in of William Howard Taft as the chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court in 1921. As I am sure you know William Taft was also the 27th President of the United States. After his presidency he took the bench and thus became the only person ever to serve as both President and Supreme Court Chief Justice.
While we are on the topic of interesting facts about former Presidents, here are some tid-bits you may not have been aware of:
- President Reagan was the only divorced president.
- President Tyler had the most children at fifteen
- President Buchanan was the only president never to marry.
- The Tallest president was President Lincoln at 6’4″
- President Madison was the shortest at 5’4″
- 8 U.S. Presidents never attended college
- The same number were born British subjects
- Other than the most famous assassinations of Presidents Kennedy and Lincoln, there were also two other Presidential assassinations while in office- Presidents Garfield and McKinley
- President Van Buren’s first language was Dutch
- While President Pierce was in office he was arrested for running over an old woman with his horse.
- President Cleveland is the only President to serve two non-consecutive terms
- President Theodore Roosevelt was the first American to win a Nobel Prize